Re: [O] Agenda printing: org-agenda-write doesn't use ps-paper-type

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda printing: org-agenda-write doesn't use ps-paper-type
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:59:00 -0400

Myles English <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga writes:
>
>> Myles English <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks for checking it.  Yes, I had to change this line in
>>> org-agenda.el:
>>>
>>> - (call-process "ps2pdf" nil nil nil
>>> + (call-process "ps2pdf" nil nil nil "-sPAPERSIZE=a4"
>>
>> If you use a4 sized paper all (or most of) the time, you can set this in
>> /etc/papersize on Linux.  I think this is what ps2pdf looks at by
>> default.
>>
>> I think paperconfig (8) is used to set this property properly.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I looked into this for my Arch Linux but it
> had no effect on ps2pdf.  Making the /etc/papersize file and then
> setting PAPERSIZE=a4 or PAPERCONF=/etc/papersize did not produce an A4
> pdf document (even after installing libpaper).
>
> Setting GS_OPTIONS="-sPAPERSIZE=a4" worked.
>
> What also worked was manually adding this to the .ps file:
>
> %%BeginPaperSize: a4
> %%EndPaperSize
>
> I am wondering if ps-print should have known to add this because
> ps-paper-type is set to a4?
>
> Thanks,
> Myles

Just as another possibility: if there is no cleaner way, one
quick-and-dirty workaround for such problems (this one, the latex
preview/mint-requires-shell-escape one, etc.) is to have little personal
wrapper scripts that call the "real" program and pass the appropriate
args.  E.g. create ~/bin/ps2pdf containing

#! /bin/bash

/usr/bin/ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4 $*

make it executable and make sure that ~/bin is before /usr/bin in your
PATH. call-process calls ps2pfs which resolves to ~/bin/ps2pdf and that
one calls /usr/bin/ps2pdf - be sure to use the full pathname here or all
hell will break loose.

This has the potential of creating a lot of confusion, so I wouldn't do
it if there is another way (as there is in this case), but if one is
getting desperate...

--
Nick