Re: [O] A simple way to search only headlines

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] A simple way to search only headlines
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 01:55:59 +0200

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Suvayu,

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 04:42:28PM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I wonder if semantic search can be leveraged to achieve the same.  It
>> > might open other possibilities: searching only links, list items, source
>> > blocks, ...  I think you get the point.  :-p
>>
>> navi-mode.el works for Org-mode buffers too, e.g. using
>
> I think you misunderstood somewhat what I was suggesting.
>
> As far as I understand, navi-mode uses an interface like occur; it
> presents a separate buffer with the results which you can then use to
> navigate to the results.  Am I correct?

yes, it works on top of occur-mode in a separate buffer, but *Navi*
buffer are permanent, and there can exist many of them at the same time.

> What I was suggesting (and how I understood the OPs question) was, to
> restrict regular (i)search to headlines.
[...]
> As far as I know, functionality like this exists for traditional source
> code buffers using semantic search.  I was wondering if it is possible
> to leverage that mechanism to get the behaviour described above.  If it
> is indeed possible, it could be hacked to work for other Org syntax
> elements like links, lists, source blocks, drawers, etc.
>
> Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your post and I was clearer expressing
> myself this time.

I think I more or less understood what the thread was about, but thanks
anyway for the clarification. Of course navi-mode does not offer
"semantic search" within an Org-mode buffer. But for practical purposes
it might be worth mentioning that typing one digit between 1 and 8 and
then C-s or C-r in the *Navi* buffer lets you already search easily only
in the headlines of an Org file. And many other views on a file are
possible, that can then be searched by standard commands. With keyboard
macros and switching between original buffer and *Navi* buffer (and
using org-mark-element e.g.), a lot can be achieved without the need of
writing any elisp code.

--
Cheers,
Thorsten