Re: [O] Let's discuss citation and Org syntax

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Let's discuss citation and Org syntax
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:05:37 +0200

Matt Price writes:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I have a rough, working example of this enabling Zotero cites for ODT
>> export (attached).

> Hi Christian,
>
> I'm really interested in this, as I use Zotero not only for writing
> but for group bibliographies in my  courses.  The broader conversation
> about the appropriate syntax is a bit beyond me,

Hi, Matt,

As the org-zotero-export.el shows, getting Zotero references from Org
into ODT is pretty simple. That framework could be implemented whatever
syntax we end up with to take care of the details. I'm interested in
feedback on the syntax, though -- that is, on the way I'm using the
description part of the link to convey various bits of information to
Zotero. Is it worth pursuing, or would people prefer other ways of
doing it? If worth pursuing, could it be improved?

> (1) How do you get the Zotero cite keys right now, and what method do
> you think would ultimately be the best to try for?

The best to try for: Something with as brilliant an interface as RefTex...

Since this thread is on citation syntax, I think I'll gather my thoughts
about how to get there (zotero-plain? Zotero Server API? sqlite? word
processor plugin emulation?), and about your other questions, and start
another Zotero-related thread in a day or two.

Right now: I'm still depending on Quick Copy with a custom Zotero
translator. That is, I tab from Emacs to Firefox, look up a reference in
the Zotero pane, and Quick Copy (C-S-c) to a formatted link to the
clipboard. Tab back to Emacs, yank the link, manually tweak the
description as necessary. RefTex it ain't, and it's cumbersome for
multiple citations, but it works.

Yours,
Christian