Re: [O] Limit on length of babel block #+name: value?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Limit on length of babel block #+name: value?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 06:08:03 -0600

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I was just completely baffled for about 5-10 straight minutes as to
> why my block was not producing a  results section with my generated
> graphics file from an R block.
>
> I kept double checking my header options one by one despite having
> simply copied/pasted/modified it from a previous working block. Turns
> out it appears that #+name has a character limit!
>
> This (on Org-mode version 8.0.2 (release_8.0.2-65-g1e32d7)), doesn't work:
>
> #+name: improvement-treatment
>
> It appears the name can be 20 characters long (the above is 21).

I don't think there is any name length limit.  The attached example
works for me, and exports w/o problem to HTML.  Maybe I'm not using the
block in the same way as you, but I'm pretty confident there is no name
limit and your problem probably lies elsewhere.

There is no name length limit

#+name: improvement-treatment
#+begin_src sh
  date
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: improvement-treatment
: Thu May 16 06:04:20 MDT 2013

Calling this block.
#+call: improvement-treatment()

#+RESULTS: improvement-treatment()
: Thu May 16 06:04:36 MDT 2013

and even longer

#+name:
improvement-treatmenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
#+begin_src sh
  date
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
improvement-treatmenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
: Thu May 16 06:05:04 MDT 2013

Calling this longer block.
#+call:
improvement-treatmenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt()

#+RESULTS:
improvement-treatmenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt()
: Thu May 16 06:05:24 MDT 2013

Best,

--
Eric Schulte