Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:22:29 +0800

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> My user input is partially to blame for this, I think. See toward the
> end of this thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/69749
>
> I was under the impression that the behavior of M-RET had changed, but I
> may have given a wrong or incomplete description of the "old behavior" I
> seemed to remember and wanted back. I agree that the current behavior
> does not seem ideal either.
>
> Here's some more misguided user input: Wouldn't it be intuitive if M-RET
> at the beginning of a line turned that line into a heading (as it
> currently does), but M-RET at the end of a line inserted a new heading
> below (would require a change from the current workings)? Not sure about
> M-RET somewhere in the middle of a line.

Hey, I'm all about misguided user input :)

I read that brief thread, and it looks like there was a call for
opinions that I missed! Better late than never...

I don't see why `org-ctrl-c-star' --> `org-toggle-heading' isn't enough
for creating headlines out of existing text. At the very least, we
shouldn't now have three keystrokes (C-c *, M-RET, C-RET) that do the
same thing! Also, `org-M-RET-may-split-line', which was once a very
interesting variable, now does nothing since M-RET simply doesn't split
the line.

Or am I missing something about the new arrangement?

However it falls out, I would love to have two commands back: one that
starts a new heading under point, and one that starts a new heading at
the end of the current subtree. Ie, what M-RET and C-RET used to do...

Eric