Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 10:54:50 -0500

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My user input is partially to blame for this, I think. See toward the
> end of this thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/69794
>
> I was under the impression that the behavior of M-RET had changed, but I
> may have given a wrong or incomplete description of the "old behavior" I
> seemed to remember and wanted back. I agree that the current behavior
> does not seem ideal either.
>
> Here's some more misguided user input: Wouldn't it be intuitive if M-RET
> at the beginning of a line turned that line into a heading (as it
> currently does), but M-RET at the end of a line inserted a new heading
> below (would require a change from the current workings)? Not sure about
> M-RET somewhere in the middle of a line.

I've been following this thread and there has been some great
discussion about future plans for re-write and context-sensitive
functionality. In the mean time, can we revert the C-RET behavior back
to adding a new headline? I'm finding it incredibly frustration to
have no way to just add a new headline below the current contents of a
headline, even if it's folded. I'm adding some individuals to my
contact file and have no way to just M-RET or C-RET to add a new
headline quickly except to navigate and manually type a series of *'s.

If we could return one of these to the "old" functionality, that would
be great. (Or a recommended new way to just add a headline vs.
transforming the last line into a header.)

Thanks,
John