Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:28:20 +0200

Hello,

> I am not saying multiple tocs should not be allowed.  I am all for that.
> However, I think that by inserting a #+TOC line, the user indicates
> desire for local control.  Therefore, org-export-with-toc should be ignored,
> and, by extension, also #+OPTIONS: toc (because this is really a local way
> to set org-export-with-toc).

The problem is that #+TOC cannot be a strict equivalent to
`org-export-with-toc', since the former cannot be introduced in the
document template.

Also, this change would require each user back-end developer to check
for the presence of a TOC keyword with "headlines" value in the parse
tree when handling :with-toc property. This is not complicated, but
there are already many uncomplicated issues to think about when writing
a back-end.

In a nutshell, I don't think we should try to outsmart the user by
ignoring his setup here. I suggest to improve the manual, if needed,
instead.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou