Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] New exporter exports TOC twice
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 10:52:35 +0200

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On 24.4.2013, at 13:50, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Exporting a Worg file with this header (#+TOC: headlines 2)
>>> exports the TOC twice in HTML export and ASCII export.
>>
>> If you don't specify a toc item in the OPTIONS line, Org will use the
>> value of `org-export-with-toc', which is non-nil by default.
>>
>> So, your example is equivalent to:

>>  #+TOC: headline 2
>>
>> Hence you get two tables of contents.
>
> Hmm, I understand the reasoning here - but my feeling says that
> the presence of one or more #+TOC lines in a file should probably
> overrule both #+OPTIONS: toc: and the content of org-export-with-toc.
> So in that case, your would then only get one TOC, at the
> location of that line.
>
> What do you think?  Are there good reasons for not doing it
> as I propose?

Maybe what I'll say is stupid, but, in LaTeX, there's the minitoc package for
having a big TOC at the beginning of the document (default) + TOC per chapter,
which can be limited to less (or more) sublevels.

Maybe allowing to insert extra TOC here and there would allow one to make
something like that available to other backends?  Though, as of today, I don't
think the TOC is limitable per org-level-1 headline...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban