Re: [O] Tabular overview of org-element.el

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Tabular overview of org-element.el
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:15:26 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I prepared a tabular overview of org-element.el to get a better
>> understanding of how Nicolas modeled and Org file, and I thought it
>> might be useful for others so I share it here.
>>
>> I did not know where to put 'plain-link', but maybe I simply overlooked
>> it in one place.
>
> It belongs to `org-element-all-successors', which means it is
> a successor. Actually, it is a dumbed down successor for links, as it
> only finds plain links, i.e. links with no markup at all. E.g.,
>
>   http://orgmode.org
>
> This is necessary as some contexts (i.e. link descriptions) can only
> contain such links.

Whats kind of confusing for me is that all other successors are either
'atomic' objects or 'object-categories' containing 'atomic' objects:

,--------------------------------------------------------------------
| Object              Recur?  Successor(type)  SecVal-Location
|   -----------------------------------------------------------------
|    bold                X       text-markup
|    code                        text-markup
|    entity                      latex-or-entity
|    export-snippet              X
|    footnote-reference          X                :inline-definition
|    inline-babel-call           X
|    inline-src-block            X
|    italic              X       text-markup
|    line-break                  X
|    latex-fragment              latex-or-entity
|    link                X       X
|    macro                       X
|    radio-target        X       X
|    statistics-cookie           X
|    strike-through      X       text-markup
|    subscript           X       sub/superscript
|    superscript         X       sub/superscript
|    table-cell          X       X
|    target                      X
|    timestamp                   X
|    underline           X       text-markup
|    verbatim                    text-markup
`--------------------------------------------------------------------

Only plain-link is an 'outlier' in this systematic. What is a link like

,-------------------
| http://orgmode.org
`-------------------

then, when encountered in an Org document? If its not an object nor an
element, then it is (anonymous) part of the String that forms a paragraph?
Its easy to understand that some objects can be successors of other
objects/elements, others not, and that its sometimes convenient to
organize similar successor objects into successor-categories.

Its not so easy to understand how something can be a successor but not
an object.

--
cheers,
Thorsten