Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session

From: Thomas Alexander Gerds
Subject: Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:50:23 +0200

yes, I am using ESS. ess-remote allows me to evaluate R-code from the local
emacs-session on a remote machine connected to via ssh.

there are two problems:

1) the remote machine cannot write to org-babel-temp-file because the
   tmp-directory exists on the local machine. here we could add

   if(!file.exists(dirname(transfer.file))){dir.create(dirname(transfer.file))}

in the middle of the variable org-babel-R-write-object-command
this would achieve that the file is at least  generated on the remote host.

2) however, still the transfer file does not exist on the local
machine. there are several possiblities:

a) tell org-babel-comint-eval-invisibly-and-wait-for-file
 that the file is remote and then test if
 (concat "/" username "@" host ":" file) exists instead of file.

b) use tramp to transfer the file from the remote to the local
machine. the function ssh does define ssh-host and ssh-username,
however, calling ess-remote removes these variables again.

c) tell org-babel-comint-eval-invisibly-and-wait-for-file not to wait
 for file if it is remote

my conclusion: it would be nice to have this functionality, but perhaps
it is not worth the efforts and it would be sufficient to avoid the
endless loop when waiting for a file which never will generated.

cheers thomas

--
Thomas A. Gerds -- Assoc. Prof. Department of Biostatistics
University of Copenhagen, Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, 1014 Copenhagen, Denmark