Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session

From: Thomas Alexander Gerds
Subject: Re: [O] minor bug in babel with silent output and remote R session
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 10:13:10 +0200

Hi Bastien

I think that I can describe the problem a bit better now. It is not
related to the silent option but occurs whenever ":results value".

Emacs freezes due to the following line in
org-babel-comint-eval-invisibly-and-wait-for-file

(while (not (file-exists-p file)) (sit-for (or period 0.25)))

it seems that R cannot transfer the file and hence this is an endless
loop.

it may be possible to fix this using tramp, e.g. by setting the
default-directory in the buffer which runs the remote-session, or by
adding a more thorough check of whether the R-session is remote.

to this end let me note that there are at least two ways to start a
remote R session in emacs:

1) M-x shell
2) M-x ssh via ssh.el (not part of emacs)

Cheers
Thomas

--
Thomas A. Gerds -- Assoc. Prof. Department of Biostatistics
University of Copenhagen, Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, 1014 Copenhagen, Denmark