Re: [O] agenda: personal priority for today

From: Daniel Bausch
Subject: Re: [O] agenda: personal priority for today
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:27:52 +0200

Hi,

Am 11.04.2013 01:32, schrieb Bastien:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wonder if we had a property that was basically sorting on very large
>> numbers?  When you add something to the agenda and there aren't any
>> sorted items, it creates a property with some median-ish very large
>> number.  As you move things up and down on the agenda it sorts in random
>> ranges between the chunks of huge number space per item.  This would be
>> a goofy but workable solution?
>
> I don't know -- it's hard to make sure we speak about the same things
> when brainstorming like this.  Where would you store the property you
> are talking to (for example)?  Sorry for the non-romantic question :)

I have got another idea: all we need for sorting (from a technical POV)
is a partial order.  Why not store exactly that as a property?  Assume
every TODO entry has an ID (if it has none and it is required to store
the order, just create one automatically).  Then if an entry on the
agenda is reordered, store in a property (e.g. AGENDA_BEFORE), the IDs
of the items that should be sorted after the moved item.  To keep things
minimal, maybe store only those IDs, which are absolutely required to
enforce the desired position.  But for an easy and effective
implementation, it is also feasible to store all IDs of the currently
visible items that should sort after the moved item.  Maybe the IDs need
to be prefixed with a filename or better a file ID so it works on
different machines with different directory layout.  Otherwise the IDs
would need to be globally unique (which is not bad by its own, when
items may move between files.)

Regards,
Daniel Bausch

--