Re: [O] css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] css link colors for Worg are difficult to spot
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:53:02 -0500

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Alexander Poslavsky
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2013, at 15:14, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I find the links difficult to spot in Worg sometimes, especially
> depending on monitor angle and current brightness setting. Is this an
> issue for anyone else?
>
> I fiddled around in /style/worg.css a bit and didn't land on anything
> too great. I'm wondering if anyone with a design background might have
> suggestions for link colors? I guess if no one else is affected by
> this... I'll just deal with it and mine sweep wildly with my mouse
> when I think a link should be in there somewhere :)
>

> In the old days lines used to be underlined, nowadays it is considered a bit
> dated, but an underlined item in a sentence is generally understood to be a
> link.
>
> A good example is http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/elements/a
>
> Which uses:
>
> a { text-decoration: underline }
>
> and for external links:
>
> a.external {
> padding-right: 15px;
> margin-right: 5px;
> background-image: url(skins/webplatform/images/link-external.png);
> background-repeat: no-repeat;
> background-position: right 3px;
> }

I wouldn't mind this at all. Or perhaps the same color link, but
unvisited is underlined and visited is not? Or reddish + underline for
unvisited, greenish + underline for visited, and hover simply
brightens up each respective color or something?

> Design as this won't do on behance or dribble, but worg is primarily for
> documentation. Usability and readability should trump superficial aesthetics
> in a case like this.

Agreed as well. It drives me crazy to have posted to the list a couple
times recently for someone to tell me where, exactly, something is
only to find out there was, indeed, a link in the paragraph I was
looking at but didn't see it!

John