Re: [O] Org as a static site generator

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Org as a static site generator
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 09:01:54 +0100

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:02:56AM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Ian Barton writes:
>
> > On 01/04/13 13:08, Vincent Beffara wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I mean, I know which html you need for that, simply within o-blog you
> >> need to manage between relative paths, absolute paths, canonical paths and
> >> so on in the template, to match the right section,  - mainly it should be
> >> a matter of let-ing the right variable to the right value at the right
> >> point in the template and catching it when generating the toc, but I never
> >> took the time to get it right ...

> >> I had a look at the too, but it felt just a little bit too convoluted
> >> compared to managing everything from Org. Besides, it seems to lose
> >> fontification of code snippets and the like?
> >>
> >> /v
> >>
> > As the original author of that page, I agree that using Jekyll is
> > convoluted, but it gives you much more control. However I now use
> > Pelican: https://pelican.readthedocs.org/en/3.1.1/
> >
> > There are a few reasons for this. Pelican is written in Python, which I
> > find easier to hack on. It is more flexible than Jekyll, which I found
> > hard to get to work the way I wanted with categories and tags.
> >
> > I wrote a yaml importer for Pelican so I could use my old jekyll posts.
> > However, Pelican understands Markdown, which I think the new exporter
> > supports.
> >
> > So my work flow now is Emacs-> export as html -> run Jekyll
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Heya Ian,
>
> I've been planning to switch my blog over to pelican.  It's cool to hear
> you say this.
>
> Is there any special elisp you use for the export, including converting
> things like the title, etc?
>
> Thanks!
>  - Chris

Hi Chris,

No, nothing special. I just use org's standard publish functions. However, I
publish only the body part of the html and place the yaml tags in the org file.
A typical org file for a blog post would look like:

#+STARTUP: showall indent
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+BEGIN_HTML
---
title: My Fire Steel Crumbles to Dust.
date: 2013-02-17
tags: [gear]
category: blog

---
#+END_HTML

After my walk over Moel Famau and Moel Arthur I was looking forward
to making a hot drink. My brew kit lives permanently in the boot of

org pubish then creates a file with a yaml header and html body text. Then I
just run Pelican to publish the post. I have written a Pelican yaml reader
which converts the yaml files to allow Pelican to process them. I'll document
the whole process over the next couple of days and put it on Worg. I keep
meaning to contribute my yaml reader back to Pelican, but it's quite specific
to publishing org-mode files and not really a general purpose yaml importer.

--

Best wishes,

Ian.