Re: [O] Org-mode as a metalanguage: calling SQL "functions"

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode as a metalanguage: calling SQL "functions"
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:31:01 -0600

Hi Gary,

I agree.

Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> writes:

> What I'd really like in the org-mode doc somewhere (or on worg?) is the
> babel syntax broken out like a traditional programming language, by which I
> mean describe the syntax[es] for *defining* a function in one place
> (including all the ways to define args and their default values),

I believe this information is currently split between the following two
manual pages.

    (info "(org)Structure of code blocks")
    (info "(org)var")

> and describe the syntax[es] for *calling* a function in a separate
> section (including how to pass args).

This should be fairly completely addressed in the following manual page.

    (info "(org)Evaluating code blocks")

> If the variable semantics vary by language (as they do), just say so
> (e.g. when defining a SQL function, vars are substituted into the body
> by prefixing the names with $, but in python they are local vars in
> non-session mode and global vars in session mode and so on.  Maybe
> this doc section shouldn't try to enumerate all those languages, but
> just redirect to the proper worg babel language page for details on
> arg handling.

Yea, this could be a simple note, e.g., "the method by which variables
are applied to code blocks are language-specific and determined by the
semantics of the programming language of the code block, see ...".

> I think all this info is already there in one place or another, but IMHO
> it's not organized in such a way that a newbie can start to use org-mode as
> a metaprogramming language without lots of false starts and reading the
> source (like I did).

I agree.  I think this information would be best included as a new page
in the manual under the working with source code section.  It could link
to, and be linked from the pages I reference above.

I don't think it'd be overly difficult to write, and shouldn't be more
than a page or two of prose, and as you say it would be very helpful for
beginners.  Alternately this could be a page on Worg, but I think it is
important enough to be included in the manual.

Would you want to take a first pass at such an addition?  If not I can,
but it may be a while before I get to it.

Cheers,

p.s. These two publications could help; a journal article on code blocks
     in Org-mode [1] and a shorter magazine piece on the same [2].  They
     both deal with meta-programming in Org-mode documents.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden
>> wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> but
>> simply

>> the
>> >
>> > Great, so I'm not imagining things.  Thanks Seb.
>>
>> For the sake of clarity, it all began (in September 2011) with the fact it
>> was
>> more difficult to trap errors such as missing default value, in the
>> functional-syntax style. See
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/46888.
>>
>> This also lead, a couple of weeks later (October 2011), to questionning the
>> multiple keywords used for code blocks, such as #+source: and #+srcname:.
>> See
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/48399.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>   Seb