Re: [O] Correct / best way of loading packages in contrib when using org

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Correct / best way of loading packages in contrib when using org compiled from git?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:05:17 +0100

On 22/02/13 22:17, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Rainer M Krug writes:
>> Ok - that makes sense. I just checked in my contrib/lisp and I only have .el
>> there, so none
>> are compiled.
>
> Look in lisp, not contrib/lisp.

True - because it compiles it there.

>>> If you set the load-path to include the "contrib/lisp/" directory, then you
>>> don't need to
>>> install org-notmuch, and (require 'org-notmuch) will find it.
>>
>> Well - I don't install org, but just specify the load-path, so I have to
>> specify that one as
>> well. No problem.
>
> No, you don't want that if you use ORG_ADD_CONTRIB.

Absolutely - if I use ORG_ADD_CONTRIB I don't want / need it, but If I don't, I
do.

>> Yes - that is what I am doing as well.
>
> Just curious, what would change for you if you installed Org into a user
> directory (besides
> using "make up2" instead of "make update")?

Well - I could and I guess nothing would change. Why I like my setup at the
moment is, that I have
all emacs config, installation and elpa in my .emacs.d directory. Would this be
the same after
using "make up2"? Would I have to change paths somewhere?

>> Just for clarifications: is there any problem with adding
>>
>> ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = *
>>
>> to the local.mk file, apart from slightly longer compilation times?
>
> Yes, you don't want all of contrib (htmlize.el in particular).

Makes sense - changed it as described in the other email.

>>> This should be enough
>
> Actually, the "git checkout master" at the beginning should probably stay
> there as a defensive
> measure.

Ok - I just re-activate this command - shouldn't hurt.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer