[O] Using Org/babel for Emacs config files (was: OT: Learning ELISP)

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Using Org/babel for Emacs config files (was: OT: Learning ELISP)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:40:35 +0100

Hi!

* Jonathan Arkell <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am a huge advocate of using org files and literate programming in your
> config files.

Great.

I am not completely convinced to convert my config to org/babel but
I am not oppose either. Not sure, if there are that many advantages,
that it is worth my effort, that's all.

> A few reasons why:
>   - Makes it easy to logically group sections of your init and
> configuration

Well, this is also possible with pure elisp and comments. Folding is
a different topic tough.

>   - Agenda tags search on your initialization file?  Yes please!
> Extremely useful for those "cross-cutting" bits.  I have tags like
> "keybinding", "osx" and "linux", and working on others as appropriate.

Hm. Interesting but I guess this is not my use-case (except for
:keybinding:). I do use "(when (system-is-linux) ... )" and similar
all over my configuration.

Although I am a huge fan of tagging, I don't see the use when
editing my emacs config (yet).

>   - Add TODOs to your init file.

I am using ~/org/mainfile.org -> "* shorts" -> "** TODO do this
:hostname:" all the time. Also for my config tasks. No worries: I do
see your point but I like to have all my sysadmin-tasks combined in
"mainfile.org/shorts". So maybe this is just me.

> Here is my example, but I stand on the shoulders of giants:
>
> https://github.com/jonnay/emagicians-starter-kit

Thanks for sharing!

One thing which I would appreciate would be that it is more easy to
write documentation (including URLs; outside of elisp sections) in
org.

Naive question: Are there any performance issues with not being able
to compile my config.org to config.elc as it is possible with
config.el files?

--
Karl Voit