Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is not defined, introduced

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] `org-load-noerror-mustsuffix´ is not defined, introduced by 5484a33b
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 07:56:35 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> Yep, typo.  But the 'mustsuffix trick is to force loading ".el" (and
>> not ".elc" files, right?  My question is: when is it necessary?
>
> The 'mustsuffix argument prevents consideration of the filename without
> the extensions listed in load-suffixes.  In other words, when you are
> trying to load feature 'x, a file named just "x" does not satisfy the
> requirement as it otherwise would.  On the other hand, it does not
> prevent using "x.el.gz" instead of "x.el" as 'nosuffix does.

(load "org-loaddefs.el" t t t) will *not* load gzipped version of
org-loaddefs.el.

>> I'm trying to consider real use-cases, with a sense of "real" close to
>> "not so improbable".  I don't see why Org should take care of users
>> who are pervert enough to gzip their org-loaddefs.el... but maybe I
>> lack imagination, as usual :)
>
> This is a real use case.  Installation with compression is a standard
> feature of Emacs and just currently not supported by the build system,
> mainly due to "little" problems like the above.  Emacs' current
> installer itself compresses the source files only when there's a
> byte-compiled file around, so any recent Emacs would automatically have
> a file "org-loaddefs.el" in load-path, although some packagers have
> their own ideas about this.  You should generally expect that the
> installed files, whether sources or byte-compiled files could have been
> compressed.

Please point at one distribution that actually distributes gzipped
autoloads files like loaddefs.el.

> Now if someone decides to compress the lisp folder for their own org
> installation

Then we will tell him not to.

Can we stop *imagining* people shouting themselves in the foot for
free?  I don't have time to build an hospital for them.

--
 Bastien