Re: [O] Emacs 22 compatibility

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs 22 compatibility
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:41:27 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> That's a definition of "builds fine" that I wasn't previously aware of.

My definition of "building fine" is that the build process does not
break and that it produces the target files.  Warnings are not errors
in the process of building, they are pointers to potential problems in
the code that has been built.

> As I said, I've already looked into some of these errors and there are
> several affecting core functionality.

If you or anyone can fix those error, please have a go.

> There is another bunch of warnings that is triggered by the fact that
> declare-function is doing nothing in Emacs 22.  This is used extensively
> in the new exporter to avoid circular requires, but there seem to be a
> few places where a require or an autoload should have been used instead.

Yes, I want to clean this up a bit for 8.0.

> If  I fix things enough so that the test suite will run I'll get this:
>
> Ran 401 tests, 388 results as expected, 13 unexpected
> 3 expected failures

Well, It's not that bad :)

> 13 unexpected results:
>    FAILED  ob-exp/evaluate-all-executables-in-order
>    FAILED  ob-exp/export-call-line-information
>    FAILED  ob-exp/exports-both
>    FAILED  ob-exp/exports-inline
>    FAILED  ob-exp/mixed-blocks-with-exports-both
>    FAILED  ob-exp/noweb-no-export-and-exports-both
>    FAILED  ob-exp/noweb-on-export
>    FAILED  ob-exp/noweb-on-export-with-exports-results

So, this is mostly babel.

>    FAILED  test-org-element/headline-comment-keyword
>    FAILED  test-org-element/headline-interpreter
>    FAILED  test-org/beginning-of-line
>    FAILED  test-org/comment-dwim
>    FAILED  test-org/end-of-line

None of the above really counts as "core feature" for me.

> While this doesn't look so bad on first sight, it will still require a
> significant effort to fix and we know that the test suite coverage is
> nowhere near complete.

Yes, agreed.

My time will first go to actual bugs with Emacs 23/24 reported by users,
then to actual bugs in Emacs 22 reported by the users, then to potential
bugs in Emacs 24/23, then to potential bugs in Emacs 22... meaning that
there is little chance for me to work on potential bugs with Emacs 22
(or to review patches for this very quickly.)

Thanks,

--
 Bastien