Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:49:35 -0400

Hello Trevor,

On 26 September 2012 19:18, Trevor Vartanoff <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nicolas,
>

> "Org has its own definition for a paragraph, which, apparently, doesn't
> match yours.
>
> A paragraph ends either at a blank line, at the end of the buffer, or at
> the start of another non-paragraph element. In particular, indentation is
> unrelated to paragraph boundaries."
>
> If your definition of a paragraph excludes every single publication of
> fiction and nonfiction in the history of written language, you may want to
> rethink your definition. I think Charles Dickens knew what a paragraph
> boundary was.

LaTeX uses the same paragraph definition, it splits on blank lines.
So does the old exporter.  By default if there is not a blank line
they treat it as a continuation of the previous.  If you treat it
otherwise how do you tell the difference between a manual break and
wrapped text that went to the next line?

> Actually, it's worse than that: even if you agree that everyone using a
> computer should now separate all paragraphs with a blank line, it still
> means that for any form of writing with closely packed separate lines, such
> as song lyrics, poetry, Shakespeare plays, or even basic lists of todo
> items, org-mode no longer lets you shift the lines around.

Basic lists of todo items will still work fine, Org treats list items
as their own elements and can be moved using org-metaup/down.  It will
also move paragraphs/verses for poetry and theater.  =transpose-lines=
( C-x C-t ) can be used to move the individual lines around
individually.

> I propose we implement an org-property value to decide which definition of
> "element" org-metaup should use. I'm glad to see an exception was made for
> node property, but that's only one of many, many problem cases.
>
> Regards,
> Trevor Vartanoff

Regards,
Jon