Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1

From: Trevor Vartanoff
Subject: Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:18:12 -0400

Nicolas,

"Org has its own definition for a paragraph, which, apparently, doesn't match yours.

A paragraph ends either at a blank line, at the end of the buffer, or at the start of another non-paragraph element. In particular, indentation is unrelated to paragraph boundaries."

If your definition of a paragraph excludes every single publication of fiction and nonfiction in the history of written language, you may want to rethink your definition. I think Charles Dickens knew what a paragraph boundary was.

Actually, it's worse than that: even if you agree that everyone using a computer should now separate all paragraphs with a blank line, it still means that for any form of writing with closely packed separate lines, such as song lyrics, poetry, Shakespeare plays, or even basic lists of todo items, org-mode no longer lets you shift the lines around.

I propose we implement an org-property value to decide which definition of "element" org-metaup should use. I'm glad to see an exception was made for node property, but that's only one of many, many problem cases.

Regards,
Trevor Vartanoff