Re: [O] [Bug] [babel] calls in :noexport: subtrees evaluated

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] [babel] calls in :noexport: subtrees evaluated
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:40:27 -0600

"Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>>> In fact, what you expect is that putting a tag ":noexport:" on a subtree
>>> would
>>> propagate the option ":eval no-export"[1] to all code blocks beneath it.
>>> That's
>>> the one which inhibits code block evaluation during export (but allow
>>> interactive evaluation).
>>>
>>> I really don't have any strong opinion about this, even if, without further
>>> thinking, I'd favor the same behavior as the one you expected.
>>
>> To answer the OP, :noexport: tag is related to export, not to
>> src-blocks. There are already other ways to disable code evaluation on
>> subtrees. It may be useful, as in your case, to have their behaviour
>> linked, but again, sometimes not.
>>
>> It's often better to keep separate things, well, separate.
>
> To see whether there is more weigh toward a solution or the other, I would
> formulate the question this way:
>
>     are there real use-cases where one would want to *not* export a subtree
>     (by tagging it), though to *well* evaluate the code blocks it contains?

#+Title: Example

Results in heading [[#first]] are generated by un-exported code blocks in
heading [[#second]].

* first
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CUSTOM_ID: first
  :END:

Things my adviser cares about.

#+RESULTS: foo
: like some result: 3

* second                                                           :noexport:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CUSTOM_ID: second
  :END:

Things my adviser does not care about, but which I need to keep, like
minutiae of generating the result.

#+Name: bar
- foo
- bar
- baz

#+Name: foo
#+begin_src sh :var bar=bar
  echo "like some result: $(echo $bar|wc -w)"
#+end_src
--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte