Re: [O] Tangling is broken in git master

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Tangling is broken in git master
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:38:43 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Can't the definition of letrec in emacs24 be lifted bodily into
> > org-compat.el
> > (or whatever the correct place is) as a compatibility-with-emacs-23 macro?
>
> I don't think it's worth the effort.
>
> The current code works and compiles without warnings for the user.

What about future code? IME, it's always worthwhile to be thinking about
ways to avoid future bugs.

> Getting rid of org-flet was to make things a bit more "elispy",
> but I'm fine with `org-labels' and those four lines of warnings-
> for-developers-only.

It's more the freedom that it gives to developers (i.e Eric S. :-) ) who
are used to writing code a certain way: the way it is now, they've got
to keep in mind that letrec is not valid for emacs23 and write the code
differently - I'd suggest that that can be a source of bugs that would be
avoided with a compatibility macro.

But maybe the compatibility macro would be a bigger problem - I don't
know for sure. In particular, the file would need a periodic cleanup to
get rid of old cruft, but if it's a once-a-year-or-two occurrence, that
might not be too bad.

Nick