Re: [O] var `date' lacks a prefix warnings

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] var `date' lacks a prefix warnings
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:53:05 +0200

Martyn Jago writes:
> Regarding the remaining Org-mode `lacks a prefix' warnings and
> particularly in light of the recent message on emacs.devel [1] would it
> not be sufficient to simply alias date and entry locally:
>
> (defvaralias 'org--date 'date)
> (defvaralias 'org--entry 'entry)

That doesn't work, AFAIK: defvaralias binds the symbol (it looks up
what is behind the symbol and creates another symbol for it), but
dynamic scoping does not (you look up what's behind the symbol each time
you use it).  The problem is that when a symbol gets dynamically scoped
it cannot be used as a lexical symbol after that, so any code that uses
"date" and "entry" after the defvar doesn't get a lexcial binding.  You
would need a language construct that would let you capture a symbol
dynamically, internalize it (in essence it would be renaming that symbol
in some scope) and then erase all traces of that symbol having been
symbolically scoped so that it can be used lexically again.  I don't
think anything like that currently exists.

> p.s. I should point out that my personal view is that a serious well
> maintained Emacs library such as Org-mode should have a zero warning
> policy for official releases.

Here's a problem that originates outside of our control.  At the very
least, we can't fix it just in org.

Regards,
Achim.