Re: [O] [babel] hide inline source code blocks by results

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] hide inline source code blocks by results
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:08:21 -0400

Eric Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Currently inline blocks like don't associate themselves with their
>> results, they are only expected to be evaluated on export, so the
>> functionality you suggest below would require first changing how results
>> are associated with inline code blocks.
>>
>> Another option would be to hide everything but the body of the block,
>> but this may be more confusing than it is worth.
>
> Eric,
>
> I do like what Torsten suggested a lot.  I wonder if a halfway solution
> would be possible.  Define a babel: link type which includes the src_xxx
> code and let the description part of the link be whatever the author
> wants it to be.  I wouldn't mind not knowing the result of the code
> execution as I don't know that at the moment anyway.
>
> So, something like this would be nice:
>
> ... and the result is [[babel:src_octave{3*x+5}][f(x)]] which
> demonstrates ...
>
> which would look like
>
> ... and the result is f(x) which demonstrates ...
>
> (with f(x) highlighted as a link).
>
> Could something like this be possible?
>
> And, to take this further, could the highlighting differ depending on
> link type?  I've not explored this latter aspect so maybe it's already
> possible...

I think both this and Torsten's original idea would both be nice
options.  Preferably the final solution would subsume either use case.
Unfortunately either implementation would require a fairly significant
amount of work on the inline source block system, work which I
unfortunately do not have time for at the moment (although I'm happy to
help if anyone else wants to jump into the code).

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/