Re: [O] Bug: "SCHEDULED: " positioning is fragile [7.8.06 (release_7.8.0

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: "SCHEDULED: " positioning is fragile [7.8.06 (release_7.8.06.181.ga481)]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:52:33 -0400

on Mon Apr 09 2012, Bastien <bzg-AT-gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I want the rule to be that you can have as much body text as you want
>> between the headline and the SCHEDULED: line.
>
> This won't happen.

Because...?

>> Or failing that, I'd like
>> org's default keybindings to make it really hard to insert text between
>> the headline and SCHEDULED:.  Any typing in that area should, by
>> default, force the point to jump after SCHEDULED:
>
> Yes, this is a possibility.  The other possibility is to store SCHEDULED
> and DEADLINE information in a drawer.

That would be an "easy" solution.

> In both cases, this requires a careful discussion.
>
> As I cannot spend this time right now, the helper function to fix
> misformatted subtrees is better than nothing.

Yes.

> And unless there is a Global Internet Strike (©) requesting this issue
> to be fixed, I think we should live with it -- or make a collective
> effort.

I understand.

>> Thanks, I think... but I can't tell if everybody is missing my point.
>> I've been trying to argue for something that doesn't allow mistakes
>> to happen in the first place.
>
> I understand.
>
> But again: the mistake happens for people who move this line manually
> and for poeple who don't read the manual.

And again: this is a developer-centric response.  As a matter of
usability it doesn't matter very much that "you told me so" (in a manual
100s of pages long --- and it's buried in a footnote, for chrissake!)
when the mistake is trivially easy to make... and it is.  I only have
only ever "moved that line" without knowing I was doing it.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing