Re: [O] Problem with choosing mode while editing blocks with C-c '

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with choosing mode while editing blocks with C-c '
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:07:54 +0100

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I am having problems editing blocks with C-c '. If the blocks are
>> > marked
>> > with upper case letters Emacs brings up the temporary buffer in
>> > picture-mode.
>> >
>> >    #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>> >
>> >    #+END_SRC
>> >
>> > However the buffer mode is chosen correctly if lower case letters are
>> > used.
>> >
>> >    #+begin_src latex
>> >
>> >    #+end_src
>> >
>> > Any ideas what could be wrong?
>>
>> There was a discussion of this topic recently, I had and still have
>> my quote source
>> blocks in artists (picture) mode and thought this was strange behaviour.
>> Some stated that this is a feature, while Eric (Schulte) confirmed the
>> behaviour and agreed that it appears more like a bug than a feature.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to link to email threads, I hope the following link
>> works for you:
>>
>> [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:address@hidden
>> from Thorsten: {babel} Editing 'quote' source]]
>>
>> My system:
>> "GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>>  of 2012-02-07 on arch
>> Org-mode version 7.8.03
>> Ma Gnus v0.2"
>>

> Wandering aroung org-src.el, I stumbled on the following variable which you
> (Thorsten) may find useful in your case:
>
> ,----
> | org-edit-fixed-width-region-mode is a variable defined in `org-src.el'.
> | Its value is artist-mode
> |
> | Documentation:
> | The mode that should be used to edit fixed-width regions.
> | These are the regions where each line starts with a colon.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----

Thanks, I chose fundamental mode instead of artist mode, since it seems
more natural for quotes. I don't know which other types of fixed-width
regions there are, but for me quotes seem to be the most frequently used
regions of this type. If thats generally the case, wouldn't fundamental
mode be a smarter choice as a default mode in this case (principle
of least surprise)?

--
cheers,
Thorsten