Re: [O] [ANN] ASCII back-end for new export engine

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] ASCII back-end for new export engine
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:12 +0100

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
> Does numbering behavious occur uniformly for a *given* level? For
> example, are we talking of a scenario where level 3 heading in Tree-1 is
> numbered while level 3 heading on a Tree-2 is unnumbered. What would be
> the behaviour of level 4 heading in Tree-1.

You can make any level heading unnumbered in LaTeX by adding a "*" to
the section command, without affecting other headings on the same
level.  You can also specify a different entry to appear in the TOC than
in the document — albeit the purpose is to have a short form of the heading
in the TOC and the full heading in the document, you can actually
specify two totally different strings.

> It seems to me, that an unnumbered heading is a mnemonic(?) for creating
> a paragraph (albeit a short one) that is styled very much like a
> heading.

No, LaTeX has \paragraph for that.  LaTeX concerns itself with the
document structure, it has styles to take care about the formatting.

> When one looks at a printed document, one doesn't really know
> what mechanism were used to achieve a particular typesetting effect and
> there could be multiple mechanisms by which the same effect could be
> achieved.

The point of LaTeX is that you don't manually muck with the formatting
at all.  If it looks like a heading, then it was a heading and not a
paragraph that's been formatted like a heading.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: