Re: [O] reveal the matches in grep-find or the diffs in ediff and hide t

From: Max Mikhanosha
Subject: Re: [O] reveal the matches in grep-find or the diffs in ediff and hide the rest
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:54:25 -0500

At Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:24:12 +0100,
Michael Brand wrote:

> Hi all
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 13:59, Max Mikhanosha <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Then use M-x ediff-buffers, and you can navigate changes easily by
> > pressing n or p in ediff control panel. I just tried it out and it
> > worked pretty good. Only thing that could have worked better, is to
> > hook-up ediff with org-reveal or reveal-mode, so that it automatically
> > folds all unchanged stuff, and only reveals text in the highlighted
> > regions.
>
> hook-up org-reveal when using grep-find or pressing n or p in ediff
> control panel sounds like what I have been looking for for a long
> time.
>
> Is this documented? I couldn't find it in the Org manual, Emacs
> manual, Worg or EmacsWiki. Just enabling reveal-mode before
> ediff-buffers alone doesn't seem to do the trick. At least for

No enabling reveal-mode did not worked for me either, that's why i
wrote "the only thing that could have worked better".

reveal-mode actually works, if you C-x o from the Ediff control panel
buffer to one of the source buffers and then back again. So it
probably has a check inside of it, that only reveals if buffer is the
active one.

Should be possible to do some magics with defadvice to make it happen
regardless if buffer is current or not, if buffer is part of Ediff
session or some other special condition.