Re: [O] Minimal overhead Org-mode blogging system

From: tychoish
Subject: Re: [O] Minimal overhead Org-mode blogging system
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:50:29 -0500

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 10:50:52PM +0530, Puneeth Chaganti wrote:
> I have a system, that does most of what you are looking for.
>
> https://github.com/punchagan/blog-files
>
> Though it seems to be a little more complicated than it needs to be,
> it works for me and I haven't had the time and motivation to simplify
> it.

This is a commentary on the entire thread rather than on this specific
suggestion (though it's applicable here.)

All of these "take a git repo with text files in a lightweight markup
language (e.g. markdown, org, rst, etc.) and build a blog/website" tools
have this major flaw and there's no good solution:

They rebuild all pages in the site every time you update the site. Which
doesn't matter at all when you have 10 posts, but when you have a
hundred posts you notice the rebuild process, and by the time you have
1000-1500 posts, its totally unusable. Every time you fix a comma it
takes 1-3 minutes and nearly OOMs a VPS system to fix.

So what's the solution?

- Incremental builds
- Cached build elements.
- make-style dependency checking.
- indexes (for tags, archives, etc.) that are

The truth is that the part of the pipe that handles the filtering of the
text is important, but is not particularly central or crucial in the
grand scheme of the usability of this kind of application.

Cheers,
sam

--
tycho(ish) @