Re: [O] Location of OpenDocument style files should be configurable

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [O] Location of OpenDocument style files should be configurable
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:56:47 +0100

>> According to our policy, non-lisp files would go to
>> /usr/share/emacs/etc/org-mode/. We would pass this as the "etcdir"
>> parameter to "make install", so the odt style files would be
>> installed in stylesdir = /usr/share/emacs/etc/org-mode/styles/.

> Org-7.8.x has been accepted in to Emacs-24.1 [1]. I have proposed that
> the style files go as "c:/Program Files/emacs-24.0.92/etc/org/*.xml"
> [2]. Note that under stock Emacs, the org package go under "org" subdir.

> (locate-library "org.elc") => "c:/Program
> Files/emacs-24.0.92/lisp/org/org.elc"

> So, will it be acceptable, if org-odt.el searches for styles file
> under <wherever-org-odt.elc-is>/../../etc/org/. (For vanilla Emacs,
> this is same as `data-directory'/etc/org. See C-h v data-directory)

> This way the package structure under gentoo will parallel the
> structure under stock Emacs.

Gentoo policy is to install auxiliary (non-lisp) files under
/usr/share/emacs/etc/${PN}/ where PN is the package name. The Gentoo
package is named "org-mode" not "org".

And I guess you'll not be able to catch all possible cases by adding
even more paths like ../../etc/org/ to the heuristics of your search.
Such a solution looks like a dead end to me.

> I am copying Sebastien (the debian maintainer) and Dave (who fixed
> the Makefile subsequent to 7.8.02) release. If there is consensus,
> I will fix org-odt.el and also Makefile.

> Side Note: I am little bit hesitant to make org-odt-styles-dir a
> defcustom. Already there are defcustoms for org-export-odt-styles-file
> and org-export-odt-content-template-file and making org-odt-styles-dir
> will add needless confusion to the users.

I wasn't asking for a defcustom, a defvar for org-odt-styles-dir would
be sufficient and wouldn't add confusion for users. This way, we could
simply setq the variable in our site-init file.

On the long term, another solution would be to collect all
Makefile-configurable paths (lispdir, stylesdir, etc.) in a file
org-paths.el that would be auto-generated by make.

Ulrich