Re: [O] new ikiwiki export plugin for org

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: [O] new ikiwiki export plugin for org
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:27:59 -0700

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 23:59:51 -0500, tycho garen <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:23:11PM -0700, Chris Gray wrote:
> > I've created a new export plugin for org-mode files for the ikiwiki wiki
> > compiler.  It's in a very preliminary state at
> > https://github.com/chrismgray/ikiwiki-org-plugin
>
> Oh very nice.
>
> I saw your questions on the topic in #ikiwiki recently, and I'm very
> interested to follow your progress. How are you handling page directives
> and other parts of the ikiwiki specific markup in org?

Those generally get stripped out before the org files are htmlized.
Also, I am using a mix of markdown and org -- only the posts are in org,
and they don't have any ikiwiki specific markup beyond a tags directive.

> I'm a longtime user of ikiwiki but I'm pretty comfortable with Markdown,
> so I typically don't really feel like I need to make my ikiwiki's use
> non-markdown formats. In the past when I've tried this, my feeling is
> that while ikiwiki *should* be pretty agnostic with regard to markup
> language, it isn't really.
>
> Which is to say that ikiwiki creates links between pages by inserting
> raw HTML into markdown pages and then hands the page off to the markdown
> interpreter. Which is great, but means that the other processors have to
> handle inline html in the same way as markdown, or links break. You can
> turn off the inter-page linking, but when you do that ikiwiki ends up
> doing very little. I've also not found a way to selectively turn the
> link processing plugin on or off...

Right.  My current thinking is that I'll use the scan and linkify hooks
to do the link processing myself, so that raw html isn't inserted.
Basically, the idea is to transform links into org links and let org do
the transformation to html.  We'll see if it works.

Cheers,
Chris