Re: [O] Include does not work when doing org-export-as-org

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Include does not work when doing org-export-as-org
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:57:58 -0400

Henry Hirsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:27:56AM -0400, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > In particular, I assume it does not process includes, because they need
> > to be preserved in examples.
> >
> > Nick
>
> So do you think it is reasonable that org-export-as-org is the only mode
> of export which is exhibiting a different behaviour?

It's certainly reasonable: it does not pretend to be a general-purpose
exporter. It may be misnamed though: if org-export-as-org is only used
in batch processing of e.g. Worg, then it can be renamed to something more
obscure and made non-interactive, so that it would not confuse the unwary.

One could imagine a general-purpose org-export-as-org that processes
includes, but I'm not sure what else it would do: just copy it's input
to its output mostly - other than processing includes, is there anything
else that it should do?

> For my part I think it is not.  I used to love org-mode above
> everything.  But this just leaves me not amused.

Well, there are a couple of options:

      o org is very much a scratch-your-itch project - so you can
      certainly go ahead and implement what you want.

      o explain your use case: if it is compelling enough, somebody
      might be motivated to implement what you ask for (but you need
      to specify it exactly - and if somebody else implements it, be
      prepared to compromise...)

But it is certainly *not* the case that org is some ivory tower project
that exists for theoretical purity only: there are hacks, work-arounds,
inconsistencies and bugs.

Nick