Re: [O] LaTex export: How to use `csquotes' and `\enquote{}'

From: Frederik
Subject: Re: [O] LaTex export: How to use `csquotes' and `\enquote{}'
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:11:14 +0200

Am 06.07.2011 22:20, schrieb Nick Dokos:
The problem is the usual exponential growth of possibilities and how you
manage them: if you read the babel manual and the csquotes manual and all
the options that you can have, your head starts spinning (well, *my* head
starts spinning). I tend to think of all the possibilities and despair
over covering them all, whereas org-mode tends to make simplifying
assumptions that will cover>90% of the cases (if the simplifying
assumptions are good ones). I think we need such an assumption here.

Here are some points to keep in mind while working on a patch:

o csquotes.sty is part of the texlive-latex-extra package on Ubuntu (and
   probably something similar on other Linux distros and possibly MacOS X -
   hunoz about Windoz?)
In the Windows-world MikTeX is quite common, as far as I know. I use MikTeX on Windows and it installs packages one includes directly from the net if they aren't already installed.

IMHO the csquotes package becomes more and more important. For example biblatex, which will become the successor of BibTeX, relies on csquotes, when using a language other than English.

o the (LaTeX) babel package and csquotes have their own (different)
   conventions for specifying languages and dialects. In some cases, a
   single language can have multiple options for how to quote things.
   The proposal below explicitly does *not* deal with these complications.

My initial reaction to how one would use csquotes was to use the +OPTIONS
line, something like this:

The language option would trigger the inclusion of the babel package with
the (correct) language option (e.g. "en" ->  "english", "de" ->  "ngerman",
"fr" ->  "french", etc.)

The enquote part would trigger 1) the inclusion of the csquotes package (and
since you specify it explicitly, it is your responsibility to make sure
that it be installed on your system) and 2) the translation of "foo" to
\enquote{foo}. Without it, "foo" goes to ``foo'' no matter what the language
is set to.

Why not use one option for babel and another for csquotes? I thought of something like this:

Or is there any other reason why one would like to specify language options?

Sadly I don't have the skills to suggest a patch...

I definitely see Nick's point: simplicity is one of the most important features of org-mode. So a possible decision not to support csquotes is absolutely understandable.

Regards

--
Frederik