Re: [O] [BUG][babel] ":result output table" doesn't work for python code

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG][babel] ":result output table" doesn't work for python code blocks
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:28:33 +0100

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> perhaps the data could be printed as an Org-mode table, and then the
>>> "output raw" :results combination could be used, or the output could
>
>>> be sent through another code block to convert the string to a table.
>>
>> That's what I do at the moment, actually.
>>
>> Mind you, org is able to take the output and convert it to a table
>> easily enough with =C-c |= (org-table-create-or-convert-from-region)
>> operating on the output if selected as a region.  Would it be possible
>> to post-process the output from babel automatically using this method
>> (maybe with a hook?)  with the output selected if ":results output
>> table", say, were specified?  That alone would be sufficient for 90% of
>> the cases...
>>

> Ah, that sounds like a much more satisfying and general solution than
> the previous approach of parsing output in language-specific manners.
> Although I don't have time at the moment, I will put automatic
> conversion of org type results onto my todo list, so that at some point
> in the future, code like the following will be possible...
>
> #+source: org-results
> #+begin_src sh :results output org
>   echo "| 1 |"
>   echo "| 2 |"
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var in=org-results
>   (listp in)
> #+end_src
> #+results:
> : t

Eric,

I am not sure I explained myself clearly above.  What I meant is that
the output of, say, this octave code:

    #+srcname: octave-formatted
    #+begin_src octave :results output raw
A = [1, 2; 3, 4];
disp(A)
    #+end_src

    #+results: octave-formatted
       1   2
       3   4

can subsequently be selected and converted to a table by applying the
org-table-create-or-convert-from-region command, which gives:

| 1 | 2 |
| 3 | 4 |

It's not about identifying /org-like/ output but simply applying that
function automatically to the output, if "output table" has been
requested.

I hope this makes more sense?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.209.g1a687)