Re: [O] [BUG][babel] ":result output table" doesn't work for python code

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG][babel] ":result output table" doesn't work for python code blocks
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:28:29 +0100

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> That said, I agree that in examples like yours above the returned value
>>> should be a table given that the ":results table" is explicitly stated.
>>> I've just pushed up a patch after which the following is possible.
>>
>> Eric,
>>
>> It would appear that this change you've made is only for python)?  Is
>> there any chance of having the same for octave, please?  But only if it
>> is easy to do as =:results output raw= with carefully formatted output
>> does the job for me for the moment!
>>

> Hi Eric,
>
> I do not have a local copy of octave, so I'm less confident making
> changes to that file, but the attached patch attempts to make the same
> changes in ob-octave which were made in ob-python.
>
> Could you please test this patch for both external and session based
> evaluation and let me know if it works (I'm more hopeful that the
> external evaluation will work as expected than the session
> evaluation).

Eric,

thanks for this.

I haven't tried the session based evaluation but the external one,
unfortunately, doesn't work as I would expect.  In the following, I
would expect both source code blocks to give me the same output with the
first, value based, being the correct output.

  #+srcname: valueresult
  #+begin_src octave :results value table :cache yes
values = [];
for i=1:15
  values(end+1,:) = [i, i^3];
endfor
ans = values
  #+end_src

  #+results[7a87a711b7814ecf23ec5d3741a5fec3ffff3e44]: valueresult
  |  1 |    1 |
  |  2 |    8 |
  |  3 |   27 |
  |  4 |   64 |
  |  5 |  125 |
  |  6 |  216 |
  |  7 |  343 |
  |  8 |  512 |
  |  9 |  729 |
  | 10 | 1000 |
  | 11 | 1331 |
  | 12 | 1728 |
  | 13 | 2197 |
  | 14 | 2744 |
  | 15 | 3375 |

  #+srcname: outputresult
  #+begin_src octave :results output table :cache yes
values = [];
for i=1:15
  values(end+1,:) = [i, i^3];
endfor
disp(values)
  #+end_src

  #+results[3104573dcf8ec30de1a26aae7051a9e8fce6a92a]: outputresult
  | 1      1  |
  | 2      8  |
  | 3     27  |
  | 4     64  |
  | 5    125  |
  | 6    216  |
  | 7    343  |
  | 8    512  |
  | 9    729  |
  | 10   1000 |
  | 11   1331 |
  | 12   1728 |
  | 13   2197 |
  | 14   2744 |
  | 15   3375 |

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.183.g1997.dirty)