[O] Re: manipulating the agenda from elisp?

From: Filippo A. Salustri
Subject: [O] Re: manipulating the agenda from elisp?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 23:53:15 -0400

That's a good start!  Thanks!
Cheers.
Fil

On 7 April 2011 23:34, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
"Filippo A. Salustri" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm thinking I might like to try some programming to do things to the
> agenda from an elisp function.
> I tried 'apropos agenda' but I didn't really see the kind of thing
> I'm looking for.
> What I'm hoping is for some way to iterate over each item in the
> agenda, and be able to access the content of the item in some
> structured way.
> I think I've seen functions that can pull info like TODO state and
> priority from the item under the cursor, so it's the iteration part
> that I'm really interested in.
>
> Any advice?

Hi Fil,

I just found the B f code to execute an arbitrary function on marked
entries in the agenda.  Maybe this will help?

This following code visits the marked entries and just displays the
heading for the task.

Mark multiple entries in the agenda with 'm' and then 'B f bh/test RET'
should display the heading of each marked task in the *Messages* buffer.

(defun bh/test ()
 (interactive)
 (let* ((marker (or (org-get-at-bol 'org-marker)
                    (org-agenda-error)))
        (buffer (marker-buffer marker))
        (pos (marker-position marker)))
   (with-current-buffer buffer
     (if (org-mode-p)
         (save-excursion
           (goto-char pos)
           (message "%s" (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))))))

Depending on what you want to do you can either act on marked entries or
create a custom agenda skip function that can visit the tasks as the
agenda is built.

HTH,
Bernt

--