Re: [O] Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Using orgmode to take "inline notes" for research
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:09:08 -0500

2011/4/5 Eric Schulte <address@hidden>:
> Hi John,
>
> Interesting use case, I definitely see the utility.  I think that blocks
> may be an appropriate solution, for example if you enclose your notes in
> "notes" blocks, then it should be easy to control whether or not they
> are exported...

Definitely a candidate! Of all things, I had not thought about using
blocks for this.

> Using the following code, you can control whether notes enclosed in
> "notes" blcks will be exported by changing the value of the
> *export-my-notes* variable, when it is nil your notes will not be
> exported, when t they will be exported as quoted text.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (defvar *export-my-notes* nil)
>
>  (defun org-exp-block-process-notes (body &rest headers)
>    (if *export-my-notes*
>        (format "\n#+begin_quote\n%s\n#+end_quote\n" body)
>        ""))
>
>  (org-export-blocks-add-block '(notes org-exp-block-process-notes nil))
> #+end_src

So, do I put my notes between the end of the (defun org-exp...) and
(org-export-blocks...)?

> Hope this Helps -- Eric
>
> This works for me with the attached Org-mode file.

I'm assuming I need to add your code above to the attached? As-is, it
export, but it just puts your "Notes on lorem" in between the two
paragraphs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
John