[O] Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:16:45 +0000

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> Further on this, any suggestions on how to pass a vector variable to
>> calc using babel?  I tried
>>
>> #+begin-src org
>>   #+begin_src calc :var y=[1 2 3]
>> 3 y
>>   #+end_src
>> #+end_src
>>
>> but get an error that says
>>
>> : Bad format in variable contents: Expected a number
>>
>> I've tried putting the vector in quotes but that doesn't help either.
>> Is this maybe not possible?
>>

> With the newest version of Org-mode, I'm now getting the following
> output.
>
> #+begin_src calc :var y=[1 2 3]
>   3 y
> #+end_src
> #+results:
> : (3, 6)
>
> Does this look correct?
>
> Best -- Eric

This does not look correct: assuming my knowledge of calc is correct,
the result should be the scalar 3 multiplied by each of the vector
elements.  I don't understand how =(3, 6)= can be the output of =3 y=...

The strange thing is that this doesn't work at all for me (with git as
of a few minutes ago): I still get the error message

: byte-code: Bad format in variable contents: Expected a number

However, if I put the vector in double quotes, it works:

  #+begin_src calc :var y="[1 2 3]"
3 y
  #+end_src

  #+results:
  : [3, 6, 9]

*but* if I subsequently remove the double quotes, it doesn't work and if
put them back, it no longer works either.  I am confused...  there's
like a hysteresis loop in org babel :(

Any suggestions on how to debug this are welcome, of course.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.553.g83b7.dirty)