Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:30:42 +0100

On 2 Feb 2011, at 06:15, Torsten Wagner wrote:

Basically, mobileorg tries to do that but all the parsing, sorting and data manipulation stuff is done on the android phone in native Java. Therefore, Matthew (the main developer) is busy (I guess) by reimplementing org-mode functions in Java which runs perfectly fine in elisp already.
Thus, I wonder if an approach "in the middle" might be the best.
Using a GUI like mobileorg. Every command (button-press) is actually translated in a org-mode elisp call send via ssh to an emacs daemon on a server machine. The emacs daemon processes the request and sends the result back. Result get catched by the GUI and displayed in a nice easy understandable way specifically customized to the small screen of mobile phones.

How about implementing emacs-lisp for Android? More precisely, Emacs minus all the display stuff. Just what it takes to run Emacs in batch mode. Since Emacs already has very different display modes (GUI, terminal), it is perhaps not so difficult to extract a display-less version from the source code. Maybe this is just naive thinking, I never looked at the Emacs source code!

Konrad