Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] OpenDocumentText/OpenOffice Exporter - 0.6 Release

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] OpenDocumentText/OpenOffice Exporter - 0.6 Release
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:00:07 +0100

Hi,

This is great, and I look forward to seeing it as part of Org-mode.

Thanks for the detailed git instructions. Haven't dared try before.

Some feedback:

- *Captions/labels/references* do not yet integrate well with
  OpenOffice.

  - The illustration in sec 6.2.2 is captioned "Illustration fig:1024
    Unicorn Logo", echoing the label. One would probably prefer
    something *auto-numbered* like "Illustration 1: Unicorn Logo".

    - (Even better if there were possible to choose other types names,
      like Chart, Figure, etc.).

  - The reference to the same illustration is a hyperlink containing
    part of the label text ("1024"). A *cross-reference field* would
    be preferable to a hyperlink, and "Illustration 1" or similar
    better than "1024".

  - The table caption in sec 9.2, on the other hand, works the way I
    would want illustration captions to work: What appears in the
    caption is not the label text ("table:10"), but the auto-numbered
    "Table 1 An Example Table".

    - (It would be nice to have a colon or other *separator* between
      label and caption text: "Table 1: An Example Table".)

  - However, the reference to that table appears as a hyperlink saying
    "10", and the hyperlink does not appear to work. A cross-reference
    link to "Table 1" would be better.

- It might also be preferable to have links to inline targets, at
  least headline and CUSTOM_ID targets, exported as *cross-reference
  fields* rather than hyperlinks. In OpenOffice, a cross-reference
  field can give e.g. the automatically updated page number the target
  is at.

Exporting one of my own documents, I also found that:

- A space is inserted before *footnote markers*; it shouldn't be. You
  can't see this in the text document, where there is space before all
  footnote references anyway.

- Paragraphs were frequently split up, mid-sentence, by unwanted
  paragraph breaks. This bug is a bit of a mystery. The extra
  paragraph breaks appear where there is a newline in the text. But I
  can't discern any pattern as to why breaks are inserted at these
  newlines and not others. Nothing similar happens in HTML export.

Hope this helps you refine a really helpful contribution.

Yours,
Christian