[Orgmode] Why is text marked as ~verbatim~ exported in LaTeX as \texttt{

From: Michael Broschinsky
Subject: [Orgmode] Why is text marked as ~verbatim~ exported in LaTeX as \texttt{}
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:25:39 -0700

I have a small test document:

 #+TITLE: Title

 This is normal text.

 =This is teletype text.=

 ~This is verbatim text.~

When I choose the LaTeX export option and inspect the LaTeX output, I
see that both the text marked as =code= and the text marked as
~verbatim~ are exported as \texttt{}.

I expected that =code= would be exported as \texttt{}, but I expected
~verbatim~ to be expected with the LaTeX \verb command.

Then when I explored org-export-latex-emphasis-alist, I see that the
documentation indicates that if the string to wrap the fontified text
is \verb, then "Org will automatically select a delimiter character
not in the string", which also leads me to believe that that
~verbatim~ will be exported as \verb.

What simple thing am I missing to export ~verbatim~ text as \verb?

Mike