Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:59:25 +0000

Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:

> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I just figured out why, despite having a setq in my .emacs, my
>>> org-agenda-files wasn't what I thought it should be.
>>>
>>> It's because if you modify that variable using C-c [ or C-c ], then any
>>> explicit setq is rendered obsolete by the custom-set-variables
>>> entry that gets added automatically.

Yes, this has bitten me a few times.  I sometimes add a file to the
list, temporarily I think, only to have it make a permanent change.  I
*never* remember that this command uses customize to effect the change.

>> This is nothing org specific. Its how customise works. This is the
>> reason people are encouraged to _not_ mix customise with setq. I for
>> example use customise for everything except org settings.
>
> Ah but hang on.
>
> First, is it reasonable to consider it obvious (I mean, it wasn't to me)
> that using C-c [ invokes customize?
>
> Second, even if it is reasonable, isn't it the case that customize
> offers a temporary change of variables? You have to explicitly ask it to
> make the change permanent, no?

It would indeed be friendlier if this were done here as well.

> Overall, it just caught me unawares that C-c [ should write something in
> one of my files without even telling me let alone asking me. Maybe it's
> just me though.

It's not just you!
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.232.g8d003)