[Orgmode] Re: Org-for GTD: Some implementation questions

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-for GTD: Some implementation questions
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:27:39 -0500

Hi Chris,

Comments are inline below:

Chris Barber <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I am currently using Org-mode to apply GTD
> I was wondering what you would do with the following situations:

> My todo sequence is next -> done, and someday, delegate -> waiting,
> cancelled

I would also add a TODO state - not everything is NEXT or WAITING is it?

#+TODO: TODO(t) NEXT(n) | DONE(d)
#+TODO: SOMEDAY(s) DELEGATE(D) WAITING(w) | CANCELLED(c)

>  - For scheduled tasks, would you make these tasks NEXTs or would you
> set them as waiting? If NEXTs, how would you filter the agenda to not
> show these scheduled NEXTs?

I just make scheduled tasks TODO to keep them off my NEXT lists.  I also
set org-todo-ignore-scheduled as follows so these tasks don't show up in
my global todo lists before I plan to work on them.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq org-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future
#+end_src

>  - For a heading with three subtasks, if the last 2 subtasks require
> the first subtask to be completed, how would you handle this?

I'm assuming you have to do subtask 1 first, and then subtasks 2 and 3
can be done in any order after task one.  This seems to work:

* TODO Project
:PROPERTIES:
:ORDERED: t
:END:
** TODO Step 1
** TODO Step 2 and 3
*** TODO Step 2
*** TODO Step 3

> Thanks and I look forward to your response

More details of my setup can be found at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Regards,

Bernt