Re: [Orgmode] Re: Worg needs some reorganizing

From: Jason Dunsmore
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Worg needs some reorganizing
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:38:58 -0600

Erik Iverson <address@hidden> writes:

> Jeff Horn wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I strongly second this. In fact I'll stick my neck out more: Worg is
>>> great, but for tutorials on org-mode, HTML export is often the wrong
>>> format for obvious reasons (i.e. unless you go to some trouble, it
>>> conceals a lot of the org syntax). I'm tempted to suggest that htmlized
>>> output should be the default format for many org tutorials on Worg.
>>
>> I respectfully disagree with your assertion. When someone writes a
>> document "properly", i.e. in a literate fashion, i.e. using org source
>> blocks, the right syntax is shown at the right time. Please see the
>> manual as an example.
>
> I must admit I ran into this exact problem when writing an org-babel/R
> tutorial.  The problem came down to the following: I was writing an
> interactive org-mode document showing mainly how code blocks work within
> org.  This of course necessitates that I describe code block arguments.
> But these aren't shown in export. I believe the solution would be
> to export an "example block" to HTML, but then *also* include a source
> code block for interactive org-mode use.
>
> So my tutorial makes perfect sense when you're following along in org
> mode.  But the HTML export seems a little odd since only the content
> of the code blocks are shown, and not the full code blocks, which is
> the point of the tutorial.

I see this issue a lot on the Babel pages.  What needs to be done is
wrap each source/example block in another block with "org" as the
language.

For example:

#+begin_src org
  ,#+begin_src sh :results output
    ls -al
  ,#+end_src
#+end_src

I think this should be done for all Babel documents to make them more
coherent when reading them on the web.  I found the babel documentation
quite confusing in the beginning because of this.

Eric and Dan,

Do you agree with this?