[Orgmode] Re: Basic organization question

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Basic organization question
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:58:05 -0500

Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Several times when I've had this type of question, I've found answers
>> I can use on Bernt Hansen's Org-mode pages:
>>
>> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
>
> Actually, when I said:
>
>>> And I like the idea discussed in http://orgmode.org/org.html, where
>
> I mis-copy/pasted. I was actually meaning Bernt's stuff. But although he seems
> to rely a lot on different files and subtrees, he also seems to get into
> tags and categories. I'm trying to take things slowly, adding a little
> bit more functionality at a time as needed. I don't want to jump
> straight to his overall method and then modify from there.

Hi Tommy,

I use categories only as a visual cue on the agenda for what the task is
related to.  TAGS are much more flexible for controlling what you see on
the agenda and I use tags for filtering what is displayed on the agenda.

Taking things slow and adding only what you need for your workflow is
definitely how I recommend you approach your use of org-mode.  That's
what I did.

The only use I have for categories is the left-column display of the
agenda showing what category some task belongs to.  I find that a little
easier to read (at a glance) than a bunch of tags that are applied to
the task.

I tried various approaches and in the beginning everything was in one
big file for me.  I started separating things when it logically made
sense to me to do that (and the single-file was getting unweildy).

Try stuff out and see if you like it.  Figure out what works best for
you.

HTH,
Bernt