[Orgmode] Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client

From: Dave Taht
Subject: [Orgmode] Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:28:00 -0800

I have been an avid user of org-mode for over 2 years now.

It has grown increasingly painful to exit emacs to use anything else!
Recently I found that making the jump to web-search-space was bothering
me...

So over the holiday I wrote a command line web search client with an
emacs interface and called it "gnugol". It uses the google json and bing
json APIs to search the web, and outputs the results in plain text, in
whatever format you're working in, notably, org, so you can navigate the
results in the mind-set you're in.

Gnugol is small, fast, simple, and growing more useful by the day. (I
wrote the doc (http://gnugol.taht.net) for it in org-mode, too)

It's not fully baked yet, but it's usable/reliable enough to have
plausible promise for other org-mode users, so I'm announcing it today,
here, in the hope I'll get comments, criticism, and patches.(especially,
patches! I'm not much of an elisp hacker, and a full on in-org interface
is thus far beyond me)

Installation instructions:

gnugol compiles on various linuxen (tested on debian/ubuntu x86, arm,
x86_64) and OSX

If you are using debian, you should be able to obtain almost all the
dependencies by doing a:

sudo apt-get install curl-dev

Regrettably, the json library jansson does not have a debian package yet
(at least on my distro), so you need to download and build it
separately. The git version has API changes that I haven't grokked yet,
so get version 1.3 from:

http://www.digip.org/jansson/

And go through the standard ./configure && make && make install # process

And for gnugol itself:

git clone git://github.com/dtaht/Gnugol.git
cd Gnugol
make; sudo make install

Copy the src/lisp/gnugol.el into your ~/.emacs.d directory and put a
(require 'gnugol) into your .emacs...

At the command line:

$ gnugol keywords to search for

In Emacs, esc-x gnugol<ret> phrase to look for

Example output:

# note, wrapped by my mail client, not gnugol
address@hidden:~/src/gnugol$ gnugol org-mode search engine

** [[http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php][Blorgit: Org-Mode based, git
amenable, blogging engine]]
   Blorgit is a blogging engine which uses Org-Mode for markup, runs on
the Search The search bar compares your search terms as a perl-style
regular
**
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php][Advanced
searching - Org-Mode]]
   For querying a collection of org files, Org-mode includes a powerful
built
** [[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-mac-maillink.php][Org Link
-- create Org-mode hyperlinks to Entourage mail messages]]
   The default is "copy-org-link". Then enter the exact key combination
that
**
[[http://metajack.im/2009/01/01/journaling-with-emacs-orgmode/][Journaling
with Emacs OrgMode]]
   Jan 1, 2009 (interactive) (switch-to-buffer (find-file
org-journal-file)) (widen) (let (( today a real-time search engine for
the Web, and Chesspark,
** [[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode][EmacsWiki: Org Mode]]
   Aug 9, 2010 Lisp:org-mairix.el integrates Org mode with mairix email
search. outline-magic. el Google's Code Hosting feature has a new wiki
engine.

... Submitted in the hope that this might be useful and interesting... enjoy

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net