Re: [Orgmode] Re: Two issues with :VISIBILITY: property

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Two issues with :VISIBILITY: property
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:49:24 +0100

Hi Cassio,

while I agree that it would be nice to keep the detailed
visibility structure of a tree while moving it, the effort
to implement that is rather large.

Org moves the tree by cutting it out and pasting it back in.

Outline visibility is done using overlays, not text properties.
Overlays are lost when cutting and pasting text.

So what one would have to do is save all the overlays, compute
their relative distance to the tree head, and re-install
them after pasting.  Possible, but an unproportional
effort in my view.

Org settles currently for this:

When a tree is folded entirely, it will be folded after it has
been moved.  When it is not folded entirely, then it will
remain unfolded after the pasting.

I think that this is entirely acceptable, so I don't view
it as a bug.  Desirable - maybe yes, but not
important in my view.

- Carsten