Fwd: [Orgmode] Synchronize files among computers via MobileOrg, and crea

From: Jing Su
Subject: Fwd: [Orgmode] Synchronize files among computers via MobileOrg, and create tasks from iPhones?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:08:36 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jing Su <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM
To: Erik Iverson <address@hidden>

Great idea to set the org-directory as the DropBox! I am thinking about trying it too, though keeping two copies in the DropBox is kind of odd.  If only there is an iPhone version of the org-mode! or even an Emacs environment! (no, I am not fancying typing M-x org-add-planning-info or C-c C-x C-a, I mean something that can support .elc files)

As for the "notes on iphone" idea, I still have not got used to it. Say when I am fishing outside and receive a phone call from a friend inviting me for a party tonight; I decide to buy some gift on my way home, and invite this friend for dinner next weekend. With the MobileOrg I have to put details into notes, put a reminder on some other calendars for buying the gift, and remember to copy and paste the notes as new tasks tonight -- if I am not drunk or too tired by that time. Or if I can put two items in my org files with reminders, one task for the gift, one project for the dinner next week, then continue fishing in a worry-free mode. Yes, being able to capture notes is great, but allowing creating new tasks would be greater.

I am just curious why such basic functions of the org-mode are not available for MobileOrg -- due to technical issues (no Emacs runtime environment available on iPhones yet), or due to the philosophy that smartphones are not supposed to be used to create new tasks, or currently most smartphone users do not need such functions yet? I feel that smartphones gradually take the role of traditional computers, and it is wise to begin to port most frequently used functions of the org-mode onto smartphones.