Re: [Orgmode] Umlauts in LaTeX export

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Umlauts in LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:08:05 +0000

Jean-Marie Gaillourdet <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Richard,
>
> Stefan Vollmar <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear Richard,
>>
>> sitting in front of a German keyboard, writing
>>
>> Gödel
>>
>> seems to be the obvious solution for modern LaTeX and Emacs versions - you
> could define some shortcut to insert the appropriate Unicode character
> into your text (as your keyboard probably does not feature a "ö" key),
> or copy/paste the Umlauts from another Emacs file as necessary. If you
> do not need it very often, this might be a reasonable alternative.
>
> Although I am german, I use an american keyboard layout for coding and
> everything else. But there is a nice emacs solution to enter umlauts:
> =C-x RET C-\ german-postfix RET= This enables an input method which
> allows you to enter all german umlauts: ä ü ö Ä Ü Ö and ß.
>
> Entering an `a' followed immediately by an `e' generates an ä, followed
> by another `e' it becomes `ae`, similar for ü and ö . `s` followed by
> `z` generates an `ß`. Larger variants are typed by typing two large
> letters.
>
> Regards,
>   Jean-Marie

Even better, for the OP, is to switch to the tex input method (M-x
set-input-method RET tex RET)!  In this case, you can type \"o to get ö.
Almost all TeX and LaTeX sequences are understood (e.g. \forall to get
∀, \exists for ∃, \alpha for α, \leftrightharpoons for ⇋, and so on.)
You can see all the characters with =describe-input-method=.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.02trans (release_7.3.10.g7f79.dirty)